Thursday, December 30, 2021

My 2021 Gothic Lolita Wardrobe

January is just around the corner and it's time for the traditional wardrobe posts from the EGL comm. I've never done a detailed wardrobe post as my camera is just not that great and, frankly,  I'm kind of lazy. But since I've been posting on this blog somewhat regularly, I mustered up the energy to post my gothic main pieces! There are a couple of pieces here that aren't technically gothic, but I'm counting them because they're not a part of my classic wardrobe either. 

Just as a disclaimer, I want to state that I've been wearing the fashion for almost 6 years now. I own a lot, but that is the result of time, saving — and also, I've sold a lot of pieces I didn't love enough to afford dresses I can really see myself coording for years to come. I just don't want anyone to think a wardrobe like this appears out of nowhere. Lolita is very much a long-term hobby.

So without further ado, here are my goth/kuro/hard to categorize main pieces!






Alice & The Pirates - Vampire Prelude JSK (ivory)
I've wanted this dress for years and finally saw it this past year on Xianyu. The ivory and black colorways are my favorite and I'd love to have both one day! This dress is so striking and I particularly like how the roses pop on the ivory colorway.


Baby, The Stars Shine Bright - Velvet Babydoll JSK 
Such a classic BABY cut. Since I'm no longer a sweet lolita, I could only see myself owning this piece in black and specifically in velvet. I know it's not a gothic dress but I've coorded it in gothic ways and I think it works.


Moi-Meme-Moitie - Archangel OP
Apparently, this dress is 65% polyester and 35% cotton but it feels like 100% cotton, which is one of my favorite things about it. It has such a great weight to it and is extremely flattering! 


Moi-Meme-Moitie - Chandelier JSK (black x white)
My only JSK with no straps. I'm considering getting some detachable clear straps added to this, as my bust is too small to accommodate it. I love the lace on this dress so much, it pops so nicely!


Metamorphose - Camo Skirt (?)
Probably the most random piece I own. I love the pink camo and wide, tacky raschel lace...


Metamorphose - 3-Tiered Skirt (?)
I bought this when I was living in Japan. Found it for 2k yen which is such a steal! It's a great basic piece, and holds a lot of poof.


Moi-Meme-Moitie - Cross OP
My first Moitie piece! This dress is perfect for casual looks but can be dressed up, too. It's probably the comfiest dress I own. I particularly like the tuck in the sleeves.


Moi-Meme-Moitie - Holy Angel Long OP (white)
A lucky find on my first trip to Closet Child in Harajuku. Truthfully I struggle to coord this but it has such sentimental value, it's hard to part with it. 


Cornet - OP (unknown)
Like most Cornet pieces, this one is hard to identify. Found it online for a good deal because the detachable sleeves are in poor condition. It's cute but really short. [Update: I ended up selling this mere days after writing this post! I guess seeing all my pieces laid out like this inspired me to reevaluate what I wanted to keep!]


Putumayo - Skirt (?)
The least EGL of my wardrobe but it's great for casual wear! You can't see in this photo, but there are safety pins on it. 


Metamorphose - Velour Skirt
Another good deal! I love wearing this for more vampire-inspired coords.


Metamorphose - Trumpet Sleeve Babydoll OP (2007)
This isn't to be confused with the iconic 2000 Babydoll OP from Meta, but the design is pretty similar and scratches my OTT itch! Definitely my least-wearable piece but I like having at least 1 dress for special occaisions.



Moi-Meme-Moitie - Holy Queen Skirt
I know I keep saying this but I got this for a good deal — in this case, because the print is a bit faded. Personally I think the fading doesn't really show. 


Sheglit - Briar Rose Long OP
I wanted this so badly when it came out but this cut and colorway sold out first! Luckily I found it on Fril a few weeks later for half the price. It doesn't photograph well like this but this is another one of my most comfortable, wearable dresses. I love coording it.



Victorian Maiden - Nun OP (2002)
This is a dress I can't quite believe I own. It's the oldest piece in my collection and extremely iconic. Victorian Maiden doesn't really make goth pieces like this anymore, but I sure wish they did!



Moi-Meme-Moitie - Silent Moon OP
Ah, yes. The dress every gothic lolita owns. Not much to say here except that this border print always takes my breath away. I initially waffled between the black and white colorways but I'm happy I went with this.

And that's it for my 2021 Gothic wardrobe! The gothic side of my wardrobe grew considerably in the past year and I feel really lucky! My goal for 2021 was to have a 50-50 classic/gothic wardrobe and I definitely think I achieved that. 

My goals for 2022 are just to get more filler items like socks, jewelry and headwear, and make the most of the main pieces I currently own. Happy New Year to whoever is reading this!




No comments:

Post a Comment